This is one of our household’s favourite dishes, but it’s often has anchovy paste and other not plant-based ingredients, so I thought, let’s make a new version! Kimchi is so good for you, and this soup is beautifully layered with a good kick of spice!
Soft Tofu Soup (Sundubu Jjigae)
- 1 package soft/silken tofu
- 1 cup chopped kimchi (make sure it’s vegan, some brands aren’t!)
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup kimchi juice (from the jar)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 knot dried kelp
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- Add oil, onion, and garlic to large soup pot, over medium heat. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until onion becomes translucent.
- Add all remaining ingredients to pot, and bring to a boil.
- Scoop out kelp knot and blend with about a 1/2 cup of broth until in small pieces. Pour back into pot.
- Turn down to a simmer, and let cook about 10 min.
- Serve and enjoy!